About the Role
As an Engineering Manager within Uber Freight, you are expected to serve as a servant leader to your team of talented software engineers. Our team is tasked with changing the way the logistics and freight industry works: building algorithms & applications that empower carriers to find and move freight efficiently and have a great experience shipping on Uber Freight's platform. The Marketplace team builds products, algorithms, services and analytics that drives up efficiency & utilization across the Freight Industry.
You will be leading an area of our overall product strategy, setting the pace for taking projects from concept to release. Working alongside the product, data, design and operations teams, you'll determine the best ways to increase user growth and engagement. Finally, you'll join other technical leaders within engineering to ensure that this platform scales as we rapidly grow our business and our team. A strong background in software engineering is necessary in this role, but a desire to understand the business, as well as a keen sense of self-awareness and innate EQ are equally valued.
What the Candidate Will Do
• Set Vision: work with product managers, designers, data scientists/analysts, and product ops to define roadmap and long term product and technical visions.
• Operationalize: experienced in fullstack development and lead a team of backend, mobile, and web engineers to deliver products iteratively with high quality. Make an impact on the company and the industry.
• Develop and Coach: mentor and grow the engineers on a multi-disciplinary team of various seniority.
• Build Trust: build trust with your partners, peers, and engineers to create an authentic, fair, and inclusive environment with strong culture.
• Connect: Collaborate within and across teams.
• Grows and Adapts: Show ability to adapt with resilience and humility. When challenges arise, lead the team with an optimistic attitude.
• Strong leadership skills but also deeply technical. There is no need to code, but you'll need to have a strong understanding of technical architecture, system design, and problem solving acuity on sophisticated technical challenges.
• Experience working in fast paced environments with dynamic product requirements.
• 2+ years of experience managing engineering teams through technical leads.
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience.
• Backend systems experience.
• Experience working with Data Science & scaling Machine Learning solutions in production.
• Be able to work cross-functionally with many other roles and partners within the company.
• Experience hiring and developing a large team.
• Full-stack systems experience.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).