ABOUT THE ROLE:
Engages with stakeholders across teams to lead the design, development, and maintenance of highly complex user interfaces and features for mobile applications (Android, iOS).
• Technical Competency: Demonstrates and applies broad, in-depth knowledge of mobile platforms, frameworks, and modules to design, develop, and maintain user interfaces and features for mobile applications (Android, iOS). Serves as a technical resource and expert across teams on producing mobile solutions that are balanced between cross-platform standardization and platform-specific optimization while considering technical constraints, impact on other functions (e.g., backend, product, design), and complexities of user experience. Improves and leads the adoption of Uber technical and industry standards across teams.
• Coding: Writes high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable), provides quality code reviews, and creates comprehensive tests and quality documentation to solve strategically important problems. This includes knowledge of data structures, algorithms, programming and associated programming languages and frameworks, and major phases/activities of the software research and development life cycle (e.g., requirements, design, build, experiment, test, debug, deploy, monitor). Directs and executes the resolution of complex technical problems across teams according to standards and best practices.
• Design & Architecture: Leads cross-team efforts to learn requirements and consolidate and translate vaguely defined business or technical problems into executable and extensible designs. Anticipates business needs and develops designs that meet current needs and can be extended for future needs. Identifies and solves architectural gaps and reduces technical debt across teams.
• Efficiency & Being a Force Multiplier: Creates and promotes efficiency and speed across teams by leveraging and improving existing solutions, developing extensible solutions, and reconciling gaps and redundancy across teams. Identifies opportunities and advocates for better performance and efficiency of software, systems, processes across teams.
• Operational Execution: Leads long-term technical projects and solutions with drive and appropriate sense of urgency to deliver technical and business impact across teams. Plans, organizes, and manages tasks, resources, and timelines across teams to accomplish work accurately and on time. Defines and diagnoses significant problems and determines an appropriate solution, recommendation, or decision while logically evaluating alternatives and factors (e.g., resources, costs, tradeoffs). Anticipates risks and develops mitigation strategies, assigning ownership of components of solutions to other engineers or groups of engineers.
• Collaboration: Encourages and promotes ideas/opinions of others from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Identifies, builds, and leverages strategic, collaborative, and trusting relationships across teams. Recognizes conflict or disputes among people and situations; holds self and others accountable for actively seeking out, sharing and incorporating diverse points of view to align teams on shared goals.
• Citizenship: Enhances the effective functioning of Uber by participating in and promoting activities and efforts that contribute to the engineering and/or people culture across teams such as proactively mentoring and teaching junior engineers. Represents multiple teams to the broader community through participation in internally- and/or externally-focused engagements (e.g., tech talks, open source, conferences, team building).
• PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field AND 2-years full-time Software Engineering work experience OR 5-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 3-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Native iOS, Android development, cross platform mobile development
• iOS swift, iOS objective C, Android java, or Android Kotlin
• Note the 3-years total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The years of specialized experience are not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
• Cross-platform (iOS and Android)
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).