ABOUT THE TEAM: At Uber, we have many opportunities to work with large data sets and to build essential tools that then transform the data into insightful information. We are looking for a Data Engineer to build pipelines which move this information across systems and build the next generation of tools to enable us to take full advantage of this knowledge.
• Be part of cross-functional effort to drive Uber to Profitability.
• Work with regulators around the globe to pave a path to growth and expansion for Uber
• Dig into complex data sets to derive value for Uber
• Translate functional and technical requirements into architecture and design
• Collect data from various systems and convert it into the source of truth for Financial and Compliance domains
• Partner with engineers and business stakeholders from various teams to build data insights and help them to achieve their business goals
• Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
Technical Competency: Designs and develops large-scale data systems (e.g., databases, data warehouses, big data systems), platforms, and infrastructure for various analytics and business applications. Learns, maintains and applies relevant knowledge and techniques (e.g., capacity management, security, optimization, data modeling) to develop and maintain data tools and solutions (e.g., pipelines, models, tables) to acquire, process, and store data. Learns and applies Uber standards, best practices, and industry standards to own work. Helps define Uber standards for the team.
Coding: Writes high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable), provides quality code reviews, and creates comprehensive tests and quality documentation to solve moderately complex problems. This includes knowledge of data structures, algorithms, programming and associated programming languages and frameworks, and major phases/activities of the software research and development life cycle (e.g., requirements, design, build, experiment, test, debug, deploy, monitor). Monitors, reports, and ensures resolution of technical problems according to standards and best practices.
Design & Architecture: Works with stakeholders to understand customer and/or business requirements. Applies knowledge of software design principles and methods and evaluates trade-offs of different architectural decisions to contribute to the translation of requirements into effective design documents.
Efficiency & Being a Force Multiplier: Creates and promotes efficiency and speed within the team by leveraging and improving existing solutions. Proactively improves the performance and efficiency of own software and systems.
Operational Execution: Executes well-defined technical projects and solutions with drive and appropriate sense of urgency to deliver technical and business impact. Plans, organizes, and manages own tasks, resources, and timelines to accomplish work accurately and on time. Defines and diagnoses problems and determines an appropriate solution, recommendation, or decision while logically evaluating alternatives and factors (e.g., resources, costs, tradeoffs).
Collaboration: Respects, listens to, and considers ideas/opinions of others from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Builds and maintains collaborative and trusting relationships with stakeholders within the team. Recognizes conflict or disputes among people and situations; seeks feedback and engages in open communication to resolve conflicts. Provides constructive and actionable feedback to others.
Citizenship: Enhances the effective functioning of Uber by participating in and promoting activities and efforts that contribute to the engineering and/or people culture in the team such as onboarding and mentoring new team members. Participates in internally-focused engagements (e.g., tech talks, open source, conferences, team building).
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field OR 1-year full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 1-year total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Programming and scripting language (e.g. Python, SQL, Java/Scala)
• Big data frameworks (e.g. Spark, Flink, Presto), data modeling, and writing ETLs
• Designing pipelines or system components in the big data ecosystem
• Note the 1-year total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The year of specialized experience is not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
• Data Analytics
• Data Modeling
• Big Data Processing
• Data Storage Systems
• Distributed Systems
• Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture and data modeling
• Proficiency in Spark/HIVE MapReduce development and expertise with data processing (ETL) technologies is required
• 5+ years hands-on experience using Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Spark, or any another MPP database system like AWS Redshift or Teradata.
• 2+ years experience writing and deploying code in one of the following programming languages: Python, Scala, or Java
• Experience scaling analytics architecture and worked with open source big-data stacks (Spark, Kafka, Hive etc.).
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).