Uber is on the lookout for top-notch software engineers to join our Hadoop / Spark team in Seattle. This role involves building and handling robust distributed systems to solve infrastructure challenges that delight our quickly growing platform engineering and product engineering teams, enabling the whole engineering organization to iterate at top speed in an open, decentralized environment. If you love working on software platforms that touch the physical world and want some serious production experience at exponential growth, this is it.
Are you among the rare breed of software engineers with a passion for systems, designing and managing highly reliable infrastructure? You should have a demonstrated ability to debug multi-nodal failures and be able to grok complex systems from high level design and deep diving into the source code. You have the opportunity to define, design, and develop systems from the ground up. As open-source is at our core, your work will always begin with the community.
What the Candidate Will Do:
As a Backend Engineer at Uber, you'll be working on code that's closest to the business. You will build user-facing products, handle and store thousands of payment transactions per second, and develop intelligent fraud prevention strategies that scale. From building maps that help move millions of people, to the messaging systems that let us interact with them - the work you do will impact live riders, eaters, drivers, and operations teams across the globe.
\\---- Basic Qualifications ----
• BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
• Experience coding with C++, Java, Python, or Go
• Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
• At least 4 years of software engineering experience
\\---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
• Under the hood experience with open source big data analytics projects such as Apache Hadoop (HDFS and YARN), Spark, Hive, Parquet, Presto is a plus.
• Experience with a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
• Under the hood experience with fault tolerant, large scale data processing, or storage systems, or cloud and container-based cluster orchestration such as Vertica, Apache Impala, Drill, Google Borg, Google BigQuery, Amazon RedShift, Kubernetes, Mesos etc. is also a plus.
• Extra bonus points for those with a deep expertise in or an aptitude for Spark internals, including but not limited to core resource management, data source, SQL optimization, multi-language support, machine learning or deep learning integration.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).