2021 Ph.D. Data Scientist Internship
We're looking for Ph.D. intern candidates to intern during Fall 2021 (12 weeks). You will be embedded in a team and work closely with other data scientists, engineers, and product managers under the supervision of a data scientist on that team.
About the Role
Uber Freight solves the most challenging problems related to movement of goods across transportation logistics networks. We work on products that make every part of transporting via truck seamless from end-to-end, such as personalized recommendation and search, acquisition funnel, growth and dynamic pricing, shipper pricing and matching, and much more. A freight network is complex, and we make every strategic bet based on data.
Are you interested in working at the intersection of data science, analytics, applied quantitative research, and product development? Do you have an interest in leading and growing an outstanding data science team at Uber, a company known for using data as a differentiator? If so, this is the job for you. Uber Freight supports a two-sided marketplace between shippers who send loads across geographies and carriers who haul them.
Pricing Data Science builds systems and models to identify and deliver both incremental and step-change improvements to our freight pricing systems. As an intern Data Scientist, you will work closely with your mentor to identify key gaps and opportunities, and develop and execute on the strategy, all in collaboration with engineering and product management, and operations. You are highly technical, data-obsessed, investigating how pricing algorithms are playing out both day-to-day and in experiments
What You'll Do
• Work with your mentor closely to scope a project, define the problem, and develop and prototype the solution using data-driven approaches
• Work with engineers and product managers to turn data science prototypes into robust, reliable solutions
• Present findings to business leaders to inform decisions
• Establish standard methodologies for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, optimization, and experimentation.
• Conduct experiments to advise product decisions
• Current Ph.D. student majoring in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields
• Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
• Proficiency in languages like SQL, R, and Python
• Anticipated graduation - Winter 2021 - Spring 2022
• Experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), as well as causal inference
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business partners
• Research mentality with a bias towards actionable to structure a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation
• Independence, phenomenal communication, and outstanding follow-through - you energetically tackle your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdb Y9Bv8-lWDMbpidF2GKXsxzNh11wUUVS7fM1znOfEJsVeA/viewform)