About the Role
Staff Engineers at Uber are expected to have a deep impact on a wide variety of technology decisions, spanning many projects across an entire org, and in many cases multiple orgs. We are looking for a technologist who has experience building consumer products at scale.
As a Staff Engineer on the Rider Core Team, you'll provide technical leadership in building the core product experiences and infrastructure powering our flagship Uber app, that directly impacts millions of lives each day.
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned engineer and strong collaborator who can work with talented people in product, design, data science, operations, and engineering to help build our next-generation consumer experience products. It's a very high impact role where you will interface with all major product & platform teams at Uber. The role requires a person whose communication and leadership is as strong as their technical chops, and who enjoys both building solutions themselves and guiding others equally passionately.
What You'll Do
• Provide technical leadership to a passionate, experienced, and diverse engineering team to design and build the next major generations of the flagship Uber app.
• Develop an excellent understanding of Uber's business strategy and goals, and the Rider org's product and design goals such that you will be one of our key leaders expected to identify and solve our highest impact, highly complex problems.
• See the big picture and identify inefficiencies and opportunities for meaningful improvements across the entire Rider org and Uber as a whole. Drive alignment on how to tackle these and lead the delivery of high leverage solutions for them to have the widest impact.
• Raise the bar to make Uber engineering truly best-in-class by improving best practices, producing exemplary code, documentation, automated tests and thorough and precise monitoring.
• Staff level engineers at Uber are exceptional mentors. They are trusted advisors for both team members and leaders alike.
• Proven record of designing and implementing large scale distributed systems.
• 5+ years relevant engineering experience.
• Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
• Strong product focus and acumen.
• Experience with architecting high-scale consumer products in close partnership with mobile engineers.
• Experience with very large data processing pipelines, and data integrations.
• Proven ability to develop other strong senior engineers into Staff engineers, operating and leading their own initiatives with org-wide scope and high impact.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world. We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).