About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer who can lead the growth efforts for GSS Tech platforms aimed at scaling operations through tech. Senior Engineer at Uber exhibits following qualities:
• Lead the growth of our platforms & work on expanding to serve some of the very high impact use cases in Uber operations.
• Focused on creating well thought out user experiences aimed at improving the efficiency and productivity of our operations.
• Partners with stakeholders and leads team efforts to design, develop, and maintain complex user interfaces and features for web applications that meet the design functionality, and complexity needs of end users.
• You will work closely with the PM team and the Ops team to ensure the right prioritisation happens and we deliver features with highest impact, while ensuring good quality and limiting tech debt.
• Interacting with all of Uber's business areas - Rides, Eats, Freight, Cornershop, Driver - to work on the highest impact problems for Uber.
• You will also contribute to our UX platform (Fractal) aimed at creating unified ops experiences with minimal engineering effort.
What You'll Do
• Working on complex desktop web applications used by Data Scientists, Engineers, ML Labeling Operators and many other people in the company to help Uber deliver seamless and magical Rider, Driver and Eater experiences.
• Deliver quality, intuitive, secure, and reliable web frontend applications utilizing latest Localization, Internationalization, Accessibility, UX as well as Security practices
• You will design how our applications communicate with Uber's microservice backend APIs and subsystems, using HTTP, Thrift and gRPC.
What You'll Need
• 6+ years of software engineering experience focused on web development.
• Hands on experience in architecting large scale frontend applications.
• Have in-depth understanding of application performance and scalability
• Experience working on open-source projects, building frameworks, ui platforms at scale
• Architecture: Identify and solve major architectural problems by going deep in your field or broad across different teams. Extend, improve, or, when needed, build solutions to address architectural gaps or technical debt.
• Software Engineering/Programming: Create frameworks and abstractions that are reliable and reusable. Advanced knowledge of at least one UI framework, and are happy to learn more.
• Execution & Results: You tackle large technical projects/problems that are not clearly defined. You anticipate roadblocks and have strategies to de-risk timelines. You orchestrate work that spans multiple teams and keep your stakeholders informed.
• A team player: You believe that you can achieve more on a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
• Business acumen: You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you're working on UI for engineers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
About the Team
Global Scaled Solutions is the organization that powers Uber growth for multiple verticals (Rider, Driver, Eats, ATG, Maps, Labeling for Machine Learning and more). We do this through developing solutions comprised of sophisticated tools, robust work orchestration and enablement via our operational capabilities.
Our tools are pushing the boundaries of what is possible to do in the browser. We render tens of thousands editable objects at high refresh rate. We communicate to multiple backend services and control work execution flows to allow regular people to perform tasks that required deep professional expertise in the past.
We deliver solutions that are being used by real people to do mission critical changes or have deepest insights into complex processes. Think of configuring magical experiences to have rider and driver meeting at the expected time in the safe and easy to access point, food arriving fast, so it can be enjoyed the way it was intended to or ML models being trained to offer helping hand when it's needed. We are involved in all of the above and more!
While working on the individual experiences we were able to distill lots of insights that we are forming into highly connected and extendable ecosystem where experiences weaved together as a seamless workflows.
But there are so many things to do, therefore we need you as a part of our team.
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and smart-productivity. We're looking for a smart Engineer who can work harder, faster, and smarter, while taking technical excellence to a whole new level.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.