About the Team
Identity Platform is responsible for management for all of Uber's entities including riders, drivers, partners, eaters, shippers, trucks, vehicles, organizations, enterprise customers, etc.
We enable Uber's directory services by providing a highly available, performant and scalable Identity Platform. This platform serves as a source of truth for all of Uber's identity data.
We operate and manage the highest scale services at Uber (~600K QPS), and provide end to end user lifecycle management for all Identity aspects: from signups, logins to authentication preferences, enrollments and Role Based Access Control information
We enable Uber's business growth by creating trusted user accounts and providing seamless and secure access to Uber applications and services.
Uber's Identity Platform team is a brand new team which will provide APIs and storage for all of Uber's Identity entities and attributes. We support various identity use cases which span Uber's mobile and web applications (Rider, Driver, Eats, Freight, Elevate, U4B etc.), Uber acquisitions (Cornershop, Jump, Careem etc.), Uber services offered through 3rd party applications (AliPay, PayPay, Line Messenger, McDonalds etc.) as well as enabling our external partners to seamlessly offer their services within Uber apps.
About the Role
The Identity Platform team is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of very senior engineers. Your leadership will be key to building the next-generation directory services for Uber. This platform will provide both the APIs and storage for Identity related entities including users, organizations, etc.
• Experience as a technical leader and manager for at least 5+ years.
• Self-starter who is passionate about team's mission
• Significant experience building and operating critical high-scale distributed systems
• Phenomenal management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, provide frequent and transparent coaching and feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results
• Good software engineering methodology: meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about reliability and operational excellence
• Outstanding technical skills in backend engineering
• Experience leading 0-->1 initiatives successfully
• Identity domain experience
What the Candidate Will Do
• Lead a team of engineers building Uber's Identity platform - Storage and API layer
• Mentor, coach, grow engineers and own their success.
• Lead with empathy and care
• Attract best in class engineering talent through personal network and partnering with our recruitment team.
• Build trust with partner teams and work collaboratively with other leaders and key technical members both inside and outside the organization.
• Drive through ambiguity, build a very complex platform from the ground up
• Use a combination of past experience, technical knowledge and influence to make key decisions
• Build scalable processes, practices and structures that enables long term growth and success of the team
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).