About the Role
Software engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are pragmatic technologists able to craft scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also empathic thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of hardworking engineers while also executing on delivering exciting projects!
We are looking for a strong Senior Engineer as part of the Network Platform team who has a passion for architecting, building and scaling highly-available, mission-critical systems that support millions of users daily.
What You'll Do
• You will design, code, test, and launch new services, and features for Infrastructure at the global trip scale
• Your primary focus will be to drive Multi-Region, Multi-Zone programs across Uber for increased reliability for all backend services and flawless end-user experience.
• You will build and deliver these cutting edge features through sophisticated experiments, collaborating with Compute, Foundations, Deployment, Cloud, SRE, Storage, and Product teams, to help build software on reliable infrastructure services.
What You'll Need
• You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience, specifically working on backend services' networking stack or building infrastructure platform-as-a-service services
• Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
• Design/architect, develop, and/or test software applications using Uber's technology stack.
• You can collaborate well with several infra/product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
• Ability to lead and guide excellent engineering teams.
• Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
• Full-stack infrastructure knowledge
• Good understanding of computer architecture, networking and CS fundamentals.
• Proficiency in Linux.
• Good knowledge of cloud, on-prem, traffic routing, service architecture in multi-region setup.
• Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
• Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision
About the Team
The Network platform team is responsible for ensuring all traffic from mobile and web devices is able to reach Uber backend services via the service mesh in the most expedient & highly available manner.
The network platform team is also responsible for running Uber services in a Multi-zone, Multi-region setup for highly reliable systems. Network Platform comprises the Control and Forwarding Plane, Edge, RPC, Mobile App Connectivity and the Resilience (Zone, Region) teams that make service to service communication possible amongst 3000+ microservices.
We are committed to making our system 99.99% available and work on these mission critical tier zero services to provide seamless integration with product services such as Uber Rides, Eats, Delivery, Freight etc.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.