About the Role
Uber is looking for a mature technical leader to lead a team within our core security engineering group driving the security posture of Uber infrastructure. As a Staff engineer within CSE you will have a significant impact on the evolution of Uber overall security architecture and maturity. Our mission is to reimagine the way the world moves for the better, and we need people who are excited to build the dependable security foundation that supports that vision to ensure the safety and reliability of our platform.
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely challenging projects.
We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building, and scaling highly available, reliable, mission-critical systems that support millions of users on a daily basis working closely with Uber core infrastructure, data and common services teams to integrate security solutions seamlessly.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity, and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling it to the next level.
What You Will Do
• Provide technical hands-on leadership in designing, implementing, testing, and rolling out the next generation security solutions for our infrastructure at Uber.
• Charter cross-team and cross-organization collaboration to create alignment and build trust; seek out, build and sustain a broad set of technical strategies
• Be a role model on acting with good judgment and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects.
• See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies, or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle these and deliver high-leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level.
• Raise the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing, and monitoring.
• Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
• You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience.
• Experience with Java, Go, Python or Node (bonus points for more than one).
• Fluent in microservices architecture, infrastructure and platforms contextualized in Kubernetes
• Working experience with secure service mesh, network security
• Proficiency in Linux.
• Full-stack infrastructure knowledge.
• You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in \"nines,\" then we want you on the team.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
• Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
• Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
• You can collaborate well with several product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
• Ability to lead and guide excellent engineering teams.
• Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
• Open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
• Passion for driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering best practices like coding, testing or monitoring.
Please refer to this role on our careers page for more details on your total compensation and benefits package. You can get there by clicking 'apply' if you're not already on our careers site.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing [this form](https://forms.gle/aDWTk9k6xtMU25Y5A).